The A1 is a simple and fuss-free Lithium Ion charger with a rather unique powerbank feature.
Let’s check out what it has to offer.
Note: This is our first charger reviewed on TLR and we will be doing the review rather differently. All future chargers reviewed will have a similar review style as this.
Click HERE to skip to & see the discount code (brings price down to $7.99) for this light!
Packaging & First Impressions
This is what the light will come with as shown below.
- Simple packaging that slides open to reveal contents.
- Magnets are rather strong to hold the lithium ion battery in place.
- Cable are of good quality and should hold up to the test of time.
- No flexing is found on all the hard plastic portions of the charger.
- Positive & Negative terminals are well labelled and easily distinguishable.
- Length of the charging cable (positive & negative terminals) are long enough to accommodate the longest and fattest batteries.
Quick Overview (Manufacturer Specifications)
- Maximum Charging: 5V @ 1A
- Maximum Discharging: 5V @ 1A
- 0V activation feature
- Over-current & over-discharge protection
- Constant current & constant voltage charging algorithm
- Battery reverse polarity protection
- Supported Battery Formats: 26650, 21700, 20700, 25500, 22650, 18700, 18650, 18500, 18490, 18350, 17670, 17500, 17335, 16340/RCR123A, 14650, 14500, 10440, 10350, 10340 ONLY
- Dimension: 185mm (length) x 35mm (width) x 9mm (height)
- Weight: 21g (excluding batteries)
- MSRP: ~$11
The A1 has a rather small footprint, taking up very little space for what is capable of. It can easily be placed in a pocket, bag, purse, etc. (away from moisture and dust); and one would not realise it is there till it is actually needed.
Note: The following batteries shown are not included with the charger.
Battery Reverse Polarity Protection
The A1 has reverse polarity protection. If the Positive & Negative charging terminals are connected wrongly, the RED LED will start flashing.
The A1 charger is capable of charging the 18650 battery at ~1.02A which is close to the specification’s charging rate. Hence, it is not advisable to use lower capacity batteries (under 1000mAh) when charging with this charger. Do note that the charging rate decreases as the battery gets charged and will not maintain at ~1A throughout.
The Blinking GREEN indicator depicts charging in progress and Solid GREEN indicator depicts charging has completed.
Discharging – Power Bank Function
This is probably one of the key specialty of this charger – the ability to use it as a backup Power Bank.
The A1 charger was able to provide an Apple iPhone 6S with a charging rate of ~1.10A.
The BLUE indicator depicts discharging in progress.
To sum up, we believe that the most important part of any review is if given the chance to purchase the same charger for our own EDC or to gift to our loved ones out from one’s pocket (wallet), would we still do it?
For this charger, it is a definite YES.
At this price point, there is no excuse of not having one of these in your bug-out-bag, pocket, bag or purse. This is the kind of backup (or even EDC) charger that everyone should have with them – extremely versatile for charging your batteries with any USB power outlet or discharging to charge one’s device in a pinch.
As with all gears, two is one and one is none.
The Lite Review
Disclaimer: Charger was provided for by Folomov (manufacturer) through Lumin Industrial Limited for this review. No other compensation was provided.
Where to Buy Links
Disclaimer: Purchasing using the affiliate link below will enable TLR to receive compensation from corresponding affiliate companies (Amazon/ShareASale/etc.) directly.
It will NOT cost you anything and is a way to help support the website to keep pumping out reviews like this.
Folomov A1 Charger
Available Discount Coupon Codes
- Click HERE to view our complete list of discount Coupon Codes.