- 1 Preface
- 2 Packaging & First Impressions
- 3 Quick Overview (Manufacturer Specifications)
- 4 UI (User Interface)
- 5 Form Factor
- 6 Charging Process
- 7 Beam Style/Beamshots
- 8 Mode (Output) Spacing
- 9 Tint & CRI
- 10 Waterproofness
- 11 Lockout Capability
- 12 Quick Comparison to Previous Generation
- 13 Scale Comparison (Ruler)
- 14 Summary
- 15 Where to Buy Links
- 16 Our Latest Reviews
The Olight S1R II Baton (or Olight S1R Baton II) is the second generation of the rather popular Olight S1R Baton model.
In keeping with the tradition of the previous model, the S1R II utilises the Cree XM-L2 LED.
Packaging & First Impressions
Note: It seems that the Customs had opened up our review sample package but do expect the usual Olight packaging for this flashlight.
This is what the light will come with as shown below.
- The threads and o-rings were lightly lubricated. Threads were smooth and clean (no gritty feeling).
- The side electronic switch requires a firm and deliberate press to activate and helps in preventing any unwanted activation of the light.
- Clip is not reversible. However, the dual-direction clip enables fairly deep pocket carry for bezel up/down carries & allows for attachment of the light to a cap for hands-free usage.
- Magnetic tail cap is able to bear the light’s weight when attached horizontally and vertically (upside down) to a flat ferrous metallic surface.
- Anodizing of the light is uniform without any missing specs, as expected from Olight.
- The provided lanyard provided comes with a very useful thin metal to help thread into the lanyard hole.
- The lanyard is able to support the full weight of the light and should hold up to the test of time.
- The included battery box is a nice touch, to store additional CR123A/16340 batteries.
- No holster is provided but a nice pouch to hold the light, battery box and Magnetic Charging Cable (MCC II) is included.
- Battery compartment holds a AW 16340 battery with sufficient room for a slightly thicker battery width.
- The provided proprietary IMR battery (Olight ORB-16C05-10C) will not work in other flashlights due to the black insulation disc surrounding the positive terminal. Other CR123A/16340 batteries will work in this battery tube though.
- Scanning the QR code with your phone/tablet on the box’s side would bring up the Olight S1R Baton II’s product page.
- Before using the flashlight for the first time, remove the Insulation Film from the battery tube.
Note: The 2 Olight CR123A batteries does not come with this flashlight package as shown in the below 2 pictures.
Removing Insulating Film:
Quick Overview (Manufacturer Specifications)
- Body Material: Black Aluminium
- Clip Material: Stainless Steel
- LED: XM-L2
- LED Specification: 70CRI 6500K
- Battery Format: 1 x 16340/RCR123A or 1 x CR123a ONLY
- Output & Runtime (with included Olight IMR 16340 3.7V/550mAh battery):
- Moonlight (0.5 lumens / 8days)
- Low (12 lumens / 20h)
- Mid (60 lumens / 3h 40min)
- High (600 lumens / 1min 30sec) -> (300 lumens / 45min)
- Turbo (1000 lumens / 1min 30sec) -> (300 lumens / 37min)
- Max Beam Distance: 145m
- Beam intensity: 5,250cd
- Waterproofness: IPX-8 Standard (2m)
- Impact Resistance: 1.5m
- Dimension: 63mm (length) x 21mm (diameter)
- Weight: 51g (including batteries)
- Battery reverse polarity protection
- Accessories Included:
- 1*Olight IMR 16340 3.7V/550mAh battery (Olight ORB-16C05-10C)
- 1*Magnetic Charging Cable (MCC II)
- 1*Battery Box
- MSRP: ~$65
UI (User Interface)
UI for this light is good for Every Day Carry (EDC) as it is rather straightforward to use.
Switching ON and OFF is done by the side electronic switch on the light, so no momentary activation is possible.
- 1 Click – Last brightness level (all modes except TURBO are memorized only) is activated.
- 2 Click – Direct access to TURBO; 1 Click to switch OFF or HOLD down to switch modes.
- 3 (or more) Click – Direct access to STROBE; 1 Click to switch OFF or HOLD down to switch modes.
- HOLD (~1 sec) – Direct access to MOONLIGHT.
- 1 Click – Light will switch OFF.
- 2 Click – Direct access to TURBO; 1 Click to switch OFF or hold down to switch modes.
- 3 (or more) Click – Direct access to STROBE; 1 Click to switch OFF or hold down to switch modes.
- HOLD – Mode change (light cycles through LOW, MID & HIGH only; MOONLIGHT & TURBO is not part of the sequence).
There is 1 blinky mode for this light (STROBE only) and no SOS modes.
There are 2 types of Timers – Short (3 min) and Long (9 min). Light will switch OFF once the timer ends.
- 2 Click & HOLD – 1 Blink indicates Short (3 min) timer is activated. Repeat 2 Click & HOLD to activate Long (9 min) timer – 2 Blinks.
There is only 1 type of Power Indicator for this flashlight.
From ON, the Switch LED will glow one of the following colors:
- GREEN – Power is >60%.
- YELLOW – Power is between 10% – 59%.
- RED – Power is <10%, do recharge or replace the batteries.
- HOLD (till MOONLIGHT is activated & deactivated) – LOCKOUT mode is enabled; HOLD (till MOONLIGHT is activated) – LOCKOUT is disabled.
When Electronic LOCKOUT mode is activated, any button presses will cause the RED LED on the switch button to activate for about 3 sec.
For flashlights that are intended to use on a daily basis (EDC) and for possibly a long period of time, form factor is extremely important.
This light fits in a clenched small sized hand easily. Switching between overhand and underhand holding method is easy with its small form factor and (lack thereof) weight.
The re-designed raised knurling makes the light extremely “grippy”, even with wet hands/gloves but not overly aggressive (i.e. still fabric and pockets-friendly).
Even with the lanyard attached, it is able to tail-stand perfectly without the slightest wobble.
With the provided Magnetic Charging Cable (MCC II), the battery was charging at ~0.87A.
The new MCC II is the second generation of the previous MCC with slimmer wires and is still backwards-compatible to other Olight MCC-rechargeable products.
The light is capable of operating on all modes when charging (at the expense of a slower charging rate). However, it is recommended to use “MOONLIGHT” or “LOW” only, to ensure that the battery does get charged.
Solid RED indicator on the TAIL part of the MCC II Charger depicts charging in progress.
Solid GREEN indicator on the TAIL part of the MCC II Charger depicts charging has completed.
Note: Charging will not disable the Electronic Lockout mode.
For this light, the spill, corona and hotspot is somewhat predictable due to the TIR (Total Internal Reflection) optics used. The LED is fully covered under the Clear TIR optic. Hence, the beam has both “throw” and soft flood for recognizing items in the up-close to near range distance.
The above beam profile is a rough interpretation of what is seen when white wall hunting. The beam has a wide circular hotspot with some slight corona and very little spill (almost all of the beam produced is focused into the hotspot). There are some beam artifacts in the beam when whitewall hunting but not visible in real world usage.
All of the beamshots taken below are done so with the following camera settings (MOONLIGHT: 4sec, F3.5, ISO100, 5000K WB, LOW: 1.3sec, F3.5, ISO100, 5000K WB, MID: 1/2sec, F3.5, ISO100, 5000K WB, HIGH: 1/6sec, F3.5, ISO100, 5000K WB and TURBO: 1/8sec, F3.5, ISO100, 5000K WB).
Some pictures have been adjusted slightly to depict as close as to what is seen in real life. The distance of the light from the door is 4.6m.
MOONLIGHT (0.5 lumens):
LOW (12 lumens):
MID (60 lumens):
HIGH (600 lumens):
TURBO (1000 lumens):
Mode (Output) Spacing
Mode spacing appears to be progressively brighter to the eye and the modes are well spaced enough to be able to know which mode one is currently in. With that in mind, TLR tend to view mode spacing as battery life indicators (amount of runtime left) rather than the specific output (lumens).
We are very happy to report that the MOONLIGHT mode is perfect for those bedtime night snack runs or with night-adjusted eyes, especially since there is a Direct Access option from OFF.
Tint & CRI
The tint is said to be 6500K with 70CRI (Color Rendering Index) Rating for the LED used in the light.
However, there are tint shifts throughout the beam profile. The hotspot is cool white whilst the corona possess a slight yellow-green tint; and the spill having a slight purple tint.
This is however, not as noticeable in real life.
The light was subjected to warm water submersion, followed by cold water submersion and left under room temperature running water tap whilst running on TURBO. (Note: TURBO mode only last 1min 30secs before it drops to 300 lumens.)
No signs of water intrusion in the head, switch or body was seen.
Electronic lockout and mechanical lockout are possible when needed, like during transportation in a bag.
A quarter turn (anti-clockwise) of the tail portion of the light will enable mechanical lockout.
For Electronic lockout, see above “Electronic Lockout”, on how to activate and deactivate LOCKOUT.
Quick Comparison to Previous Generation
|Description||Olight S1R II Baton||Olight S1R Baton|
|TURBO Mode Output||1000 Lumens||900 Lumens|
|Weight (including Battery)||51g||54g|
|Switch LED (Battery Indicator)||Yes||No|
|Magnetic Charging Cable (MCC)||MCC II (1000mA Charging Rate)||MCC (750mA Charging Rate)|
|Clip||Dual-Direction (Bezel Up/Down Carry)||Single Direction (Bezel Up Carry only)|
Scale Comparison (Ruler)
To sum up, we believe that the most important part of any review is if given the chance to purchase the same light for our own EDC or to gift to our loved ones out from one’s pocket (wallet), would we still do it?
For this light, it is a definite YES, if the tint shift is not an issue for your usage.
The straightforward UI with Direct Access to MOONLIGHT, TURBO & STROBE from OFF, strong magnet in the tailcap, dual-directional pocket clip and Magnetic Charging Cable (MCC II) capability are all plus points for this flashlight.
We do hope that Olight would come out with a Titanium/Copper limited edition version with perhaps a Neutral LED option (High CRI would be a nice too).
Here is a bonus size comparison with some of the other EDC-friendly flashlights we reviewed previously.
From Left to Right: Olight I3T EOS, Olight S1 Mini Baton, Olight S1R II Baton, Olight M1T Raider, Oveready BOSS 35, Elzetta Alpha.
As with all gears, two is one and one is none.
The Lite Review
Disclaimer: Light was provided for by Olight (manufacturer) for this review. No other compensation was provided.
Where to Buy Links
Disclaimer: Purchasing using the affiliate link below will enable TLR to receive compensation from corresponding affiliate companies (Amazon/ShareASale/etc.) directly.
It will NOT cost you anything and is a way to help support the website to keep pumping out reviews like this.
Olight S1R II Baton
Amazon: Click Here to see best prices on Amazon.
Available Discount Coupon Codes
- Click HERE to view our complete list of discount Coupon Codes.